> The Beesley Buzz: Passion fruit curd tarts with chocolate pastry

Passion fruit curd tarts with chocolate pastry

I've been itching to get back in the kitchen to bake something. In an attempt to eat more healthily I've cut back on baking in recent months but I've missed it. It turns out that it is my way of relaxing and being a bit creative.

I had some passion fruit to use up and I wondered what they'd taste like as a passion fruit curd so I used this recipe and reduced the quantities to just under half as I only had 3 passion fruit. I used 2 eggs instead of 3, around 60g of butter, 115g of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of cornflour. 

I made the chocolate pastry using Edd Kimber's Pate sucree recipe from his Patisserie Made Simple book. The chocolate version is very similar to the sweet pastry recipe here but swaps out some of the flour for cocoa powder instead. I think it was 40g of flour swapped for Cocoa powder. 

The recipe in the book said to chill the dough for an hour but I had a family asking when dessert would be ready so I didn't get time to chill it. It did make it harder to handle but not impossible. 

I made several smaller tarts rather than one big one so I blind baked the pastry cases for 13 minutes with baking beans to weigh them down at 160c. Then I removed the baking beans and baked for a further 5 minutes. 

Once cooled, I filled each with the passion fruit curd and topped with my all time favourite flower, forget-me-nots and tiny leaves of mint and basil which I've been growing on my windowsill. 

We also added some fresh raspberries and blueberries to some of them which tasted lovely. Everyone enjoyed them. 

The passion fruit curd was still quite runny but I wonder if the tarts had been popped in the fridge for a while whether that would have helped them 'set' a bit? 

They were lovely just as they were as they were quickly polished off.


4 comments:

  1. These look gorgeous. Your photos and presentation are excellent, Rebecca! And I bet they tasted lovely. I'd love to have a go at these....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Siobhan. I am actually not very good with photos but I did make the effort to take these photos outdoors which I think helps a lot. x

      Delete
  2. These look stunning. Love the colours, the presentation and the photos. I am sure they must have tasted equally delicious.

    ReplyDelete

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...